Georgetown University’s Women’s Basketball coach Tasha Butts died on Monday, October 23rd after a battle of 2-years with breast cancer. Last month she stepped away from coaching at Georgetown, leading up to her 2 year diagnosis of advanced-stage breast cancer in 2021. Her diagnosis inspired the Tasha Tough campaign (pictured above), which brings awareness and raises money to bring quality care to women who can’t afford it through the Kay Yow Cancer Fund.
“I am heartbroken for Tasha’s family, friends, players, teammates and colleagues,” Georgetown athletic director Lee Reed said. “When I met Tasha, I knew she was a winner on the court, and an incredible person whose drive, passion and determination was second to none. She exhibited these qualities both as a leader and in her fight against breast cancer. This is a difficult time for the entire Georgetown community, and we will come together to honor her memory.”
Tasha came to Georgetown from Georgia Tech in April of 2023 after a long coaching and professional WNBA career. She was chosen 20th by the Minnesota Lynx in the 2004 draft. She played for Minnesota, Charlotte and Houston, and she also played internationally before going into coaching as an assistant at Duquesne in 2007. She then joined the Georgia Tech women’s basketball staff as an assistant coach in April 2019, and was promoted to associate head coach two years later.
Tasha Butts was 41 and survived by her parents, Spencer Sr. and Evelyn, her brother, Spencer Jr. and her nephew, Marquis.
- ‘SZN Opener’ S2 Episode 1: Grambling State Defensive End Sundiata Anderson Reps HBCU Football
- Simone Biles Cheers On NFL Husband Jonathan Owens As Green Bay Packers Beat Kansas Chiefs
- FedEx Field Evacuated After Sunday’s Commanders vs. Dolphins Game
- Wizards Friday Night Concert Series 2024 Schedule Revealed Featuring Hip-Hop & Local Greats!
- LeBron James Responds To Manager Maverick Carter Reportedly Admitting To Placing Illegal NBA Bets
- Former Eagles & Washington WR DeSean Jackson Announces Retirement
- Barry Sanders Is Finally Ready To Talk About His Sudden Retirement In New ‘Bye Bye Barry’ Documentary
- Washington Wizards Deni Avdija Disappointed In DC Sports Fan Culture But Has Hopes On Improvement
- Carmelo Anthony Teams Up With The Kid Mero To Launch Weekly Sports & Culture Podcast
- Adam Silver Hints At The NBA Expanding With Teams In Mexico City, Vancouver and Montreal
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Content in Your Inbox:
Georgetown’s Tasha Butts Dies At 41 From Breast Cancer was originally published on kysdc.com
Is Ashanti Pregnant? X Users Think Nelly Has ‘Sealed The Deal’
Ari Lennox Cussed Fan Out After Water Bottle Thrown During Show
The Russ Parr Morning Show
This Guy: Aaron Hall Song Lyrics That Haven’t Aged Well
WORLD AIDS DAY: Remembering Black Celebrities We Lost
Vic Jagger's 20th Radio Anniversary Celebration
Poked In PC: Derek Chauvin Got Shanked In Prison, X Goes About Its Business
Famous Singers & Rappers Who Have Children Together