Mayor Muriel Bowser wants to make it easier to hold criminal suspects in custody, toughen the laws against possessing firearms, and create additional barriers for those convicted of major crimes to be released from prison early.
Text “DCnews” to 52140 For Local & National News Sent Directly To You!
The ideas are part of a larger package of legislation aimed at enhancing public safety that the mayor presented this afternoon. According to the police, a string of break-ins have harmed local businesses. Bowser expressed her hope that the measure would be enacted into law by the D.C. Council this summer.
Bowser’s bill, which she referred to as “common sense legislation,” lays out her ideas for tackling the city’s public safety issues going ahead. The bill would do the following:
– Increase penalties for crimes that target certain populations, including residents with physical and mental impairments, transit and for-hire vehicle workers, transit passengers, and people at rec centers
– Increase penalties for illegal gun possession
– Make strangulation a felony assault
– Make it easier for judges to deny the petitions of people seeking reduced sentences after 15 years in prison
– Give judges more discretion to have children accused of crimes detained ahead of trial
– Increase the amount of reimbursement residents can get for installing private security cameras outside their homes
– Require the city’s Criminal Justice Coordinating Council to release more data on the city’s criminal justice system and juvenile justice system.
- New Maryland Law Prohibits Police From Using Weed Odor As Cause For Search
- Bowie State University Grad Student’s Class Project Turns Into Maryland State Law
- Dr. Rosie Milligan, Dr. Baruch Ben-Yehudah, Brother Sadiki Kambom & Brother Obie l The Carl Nelson Show
- 11-Year-Old Arrested For Gun-Related Crimes In NW DC In Less Than A Week
- Coppin State University Opens On-Campus Food Pantry For Students
- Mayor Bowser Proposes Tougher Gun Penalties & More Pretrial Detention In New Legislation
- Where to? Top 20 Summer Travel Destinations for 2023 Unveiled
- Morgan State To Expand Off-Campus Housing With Multi-Family Apartment Building
- Washington Commanders 2023 Schedule: How Many Wins Will They Get?
- Teen Girl Dead After Shooting In District Heights
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Content in Your Inbox:
Mayor Bowser Proposes Tougher Gun Penalties & More Pretrial Detention In New Legislation was originally published on woldcnews.com
Iconic Singer Tina Turner Dead at 83
DC Young Fly’s Partner, Jacky Oh Passed Away During Surgery
Plastic Surgeon Linked To Jacky Oh Is ‘Liposuction & BBL Specialist’ With Negative Online Reviews
Eva Marcille Granted Full Custody Of Daughter After Alleged Physical Altercation With Kevin McCall
1972: Aretha Franklin Makes History With ‘Amazing Grace’ | Black Music Month
The Russ Parr Morning Show
The Best Dressed At ‘Wakanda Meets Coming To America Night’ On The Tom Joyner Foundation Fantastic Voyage
Tina Turner Photos Through The Years: A Legacy Never Forgotten