After what’s felt like the better half of a decade worth of “will-he-or-won’t-he” talk, Idris Elba is finally back in the running to officially play James Bond in the upcoming series of 007 films.
New reports suggest that recent market research has led producers on the upcoming film to see the Black British leading man as its top choice.
The last time Elba’s name was associated with James Bond was last November when it was confirmed that producers carved out a 007 villain role for the celebrated actor if he wanted it. However, the rumor mill now suggests that he finally might be close to finalizing the lead role.
Here’s a bit more information on the subject below, via The Sun:
“A source said: ‘Idris has long been in talks to play a role in the next era of James Bond’s story and last year was being considered for a role as an antagonist.
‘However, talks surrounding him playing the lead have started again as producers realised how popular he would be after carrying out secret market research.
‘He ranked highly among the diverse group of movie buffs invited to participate in it.
‘They didn’t want to see him as a nemesis — they want him as the hero.’”
Even though Daniel Craig’s bow-out as Bond with No Time To Die hit theaters less than a year ago, the hunt has already been rather heavy to find the next Bond. According to a poll by UK betting shop Coral, top runners include Bridgerton heartthrob Regé-Jean Pagem at #1 (5/2), Man Of Steel’s Superman Henry Cavill at #2 (4/1), Being Human star Aidan Turner at #3 (8/1), Venom’s titular leading man Tom Hardy raking #4 (6/1) and finally Idris at #5 (12/1). Even with coming in last place, it appears the Luther actor is still a hit amongst producers.
While everything’s still in the speculation phase, we honestly couldn’t see anybody else at this point more suited to suit up as James Bond other than Idris Elba. Take a look below at what many are saying on social media, and let us know if you could see The Wire actor on his ‘shaken, not stirred’ steez:
READ MORE STORIES ON BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM:
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade To Make Abortion Unconstitutional
- HBCU FAMU Marching 100 Performs At Louis Vuitton Men’s SS2023 Show In Paris
- Biden Proposes Summer Gas Tax Holiday for Relief At The Pumps
HEAD TO THE BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM HOMEPAGE
Black Bond Back! Idris Elba In Talks Again To Play The Next 007 was originally published on blackamericaweb.com
1. A lot of people debating if Idris Elba should be the next James Bond! 👀 I’m just gonna say I’d love to see him in the role as 007, I think he’d smash it!
2. If @idriselba isn’t the new @007 , I’m not watching it.
3. Idris Elba vs. Lion just shows why he should have a shot at James Bond 007.
4. My favourite bond was always @PierceBrosnan haven’t seen a Bond movie since. But, I would actually watch James Bond again if @idriselba played him. Just sayin’ 🖤
5. . @idriselba is still my pick for #Bond
6. Idris Elba needs to stop fucking around and be the new 007.
7. At this point it would be wired if Idris Elba wasn’t the next Bond Come on, DO IT. He’s the only dude cold enough to play James Bond
8. Idris Elba for the new James Bond @idriselba
9. Idris Elba would be a fantastic James Bond
10. It was always going to be Idris Elba, I’m sorry he’s the most Bond-like person on the planet, just make it him and move on