“I don’t know how I feel about New Year’s resolutions. Everyone says they want to work out more, and then you go hard for a week and all of a sudden it’s back to normal. I don’t want to put that much more pressure on myself. I’ll focus on improving myself as a person.”
Agreed Mrs. Anthony! We start our strong and fade to black within 30 days. So, how do we do it? How do we stick to our goals? Here are 7 suggestions to help you.
- Think. Think about the challenges you had in 2016. What would you like to see different? What would like to change? Knowing them will help you to overcome them in 2017.
- Write. That’s right, write! My favorite book says “write the vision and make it plain…” Habakkuk 2:2(NJKV). Writing down your thoughts keeps it real. Put the list in a calendar, journal, notes document or even take a picture of the list for quick reference. Cross them off as you knock them out, you’ll like that!
- Speak. Go through the list and read them out loud. Here again, my favorite book “ calleth those things which be not as though they were.” Romans 4:17 (AKJV). Just say it.
- Honest. Be honest with yourself. If you want to exercise to lose weight, be honest with yourself and what you can commit to. Can you really work out 5 days a week or is 2/3 days a week better for your schedule? Honesty will help keep those unnecessary pressures off of you.
- Faith. You are welcome to go at it alone; however it may work better with a little help from a “mustard seed” friend called Faith! Pray about it and believe you can accomplish your goals.
- Friends. Squad up! Get the friends and family involved. You know there is nothing like pesky people to keep you on track. But we love them :)
- Love. Love thyself! Listen, if you mess up its OK. Be kind to yourself, forgive yourself and keep it moving!