The American Red Cross is facing a critical blood shortage, with an “emergency need” for platelet donors and Type O blood donations, as revealed by the organization this week. This dire situation has arisen due to consecutive months of “climate-driven disasters” and a significant 25% drop in donations in August, which typically supplies around 40% of the nation’s blood.
The threat of Hurricane Lee further exacerbates the problem, potentially hindering blood collection efforts in adverse weather conditions. The impact of Hurricane Idalia in August resulted in over 700 units of blood and platelets going uncollected, as reported by the Red Cross.
Dr. Pampee Young, the chief medical officer for the American Red Cross, emphasized that crises persist for many patients with urgent medical needs, even beyond natural disasters. She stated that the stress of a disaster can escalate into a medical crisis for individuals battling sickle cell disease, highlighting the constant and often hidden demand for blood. Every two seconds, someone in the U.S. requires blood, an emergency that often goes unnoticed by the world, occurring behind the closed doors of hospitals. The urgency of this need has only intensified.
The American Red Cross attributes the significant drop in donations last month to a combination of record-high travel activity and back-to-school commitments. They are urgently appealing to donors of all blood types to schedule appointments for blood or platelet donations, emphasizing that the distribution of blood products to hospitals currently surpasses the rate of blood donations.
source: The DMV Daily
- Diabetes Awareness Month: How To Travel Smart With Type 1 Diabetes
- Keke Palmer Talks Boundaries, Unhealthy Relationships & Narcissism with Dr. Drew
- Tips For Vegans On Thanksgiving And Hosting Them At Your Table This Year
- How to Cope with Holiday Blues and Seasonal Depression
- Childhood Cancer Death Rates For Black And Hispanic Children Stopped Improving After 2011, Study Shows
- Diabetes Awareness Month: The Risks & Benefits Of Type 1 Diabetes & Pregnancy
- Virginia Teen’s Cancer Treatment Soap Earns National Science Prize
- Protect Yourself: 10 Things To Know About The Updated Covid-19 Vaccine
- Krayzie Bone Update: Another Surgery Needed For Cleveland Legend
- Krayzie Bone ‘Fighting For His Life’ In LA Hospital, Per Report
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Content in Your Inbox:
Ari Lennox Cussed Fan Out After Water Bottle Thrown During Show
This Guy: Aaron Hall Song Lyrics That Haven’t Aged Well
WORLD AIDS DAY: Remembering Black Celebrities We Lost
Thanksgiving Mac & Cheese’s Most Viral Moments
The Russ Parr Morning Show
Turkey Taboos: 10 Things You Should Never Do At Thanksgiving
Poked In PC: Derek Chauvin Got Shanked In Prison, X Goes About Its Business
Taraji P. Henson Just Made Us Re-Evaluate Our Entire Holiday Party Wardrobe In This Pink Velvet Gown