This past Sunday, Redskins QB Alex Smith broke his leg…33 years to the day that former Redskins QB Joe Theisman had his leg broken. But the coincidence doesn’t stop there. Check this out:
- Both injuries occurred on the 40 yard line
- Both games ended in a 23-21 score
- Both injuries occurred with 3-time NFL Defensive Players of the Year on the field; Lawrence Taylor in Theisman’s game, J.J. Watt in Smith’s game
- Theisman’s Pro Bowl LT Joe Jacoby wasn’t in the game & Smith’s Pro Bowl LT Trent Williams wasn’t in his game either
- The only TD passes that their replacements threw, were to players who both wore the number 86 (Clint Didier and Jordan Reed)
Weird, huh? BTW, the Skins missed the playoffs the season Theisman got injured. Let’s see how this one plays out.