A Black Florida couple displayed the ultimate act of selflessness during this holiday season after officially adopting seven siblings, the Today Show reported.
SEE ALSO: Watch: Student And Teacher United By Adoption In A Touching Ceremony
In efforts to give the children the gift of growing up under one roof Sofia and DaShoan Olds—who previously had no kids—made it their mission to legally welcome the children into their family, the news outlet writes. The Olds learned about the children through a Facebook post earlier this year. The children—Gentry, Necia, Keyon, Eric, Erica, Dava, and Zavian—were living in separate homes but always longed to be raised together. The Olds had considered adoption before but had no plans of bringing this many kids into their home, however, after being touched by their story they felt obligated to do so.
“There was no question asked. If they allow us to adopt these children, we will do it,” Sofia told the news outlet. “I like to say I felt like it was a calling, honestly. When I saw that picture, it was automatic.”
The couple has been focused on getting them into a routine with school and extracurricular activities. Despite having to adapt to financially supporting seven youngsters, the transition has been seamless. The children are excited to have the opportunity to make memories in the same household for years to come.
“I never actually had a mom and dad under the same roof, but it feels great. It’s like they’re both half of something, like peanut butter and jelly,” one of the children told the news outlet. Another child described the reunion as a “dream come true.”
According to the Huffington Post, there are nearly two-thirds of children across the country who are in the foster care system. Many of those children end up being adopted separately.
In Memoriam: Celebrities We Lost In 2017
1. Erica Garner, 27Source:Getty 1 of 24
2. LeRoy Frasier, 80Source:Getty 2 of 24
3. Don Hogan Charles, 79Source:Getty 3 of 24
4. Combat Jack, 48Source:Getty 4 of 24
5. Mamie Johnson, 82Source:Getty 5 of 24
6. Della Reese, 86Source:Splash News 6 of 24
7. Simeon Booker, 99Source:Getty 7 of 24
8. David Cassidy, 67Source:Getty 8 of 24
9. Fats Domino, 89Source:Getty 9 of 24
10. Robert Guillaume, 89Source:Getty 10 of 24
11. Tom Petty, 66Source:Getty 11 of 24
12. Bernie Casey, 78Source:Getty 12 of 24
13. Jim Vance, 75Source:Getty 13 of 24
14. Fresh Kid Ice, 53Source:Getty 14 of 24
15. Charlie Murphy, 57Source:Getty 15 of 24
16. Chuck Berry, 90Source:Getty 16 of 24
17. James Cotton, 81Source:Getty 17 of 24
18. Joni Sledge, 60Source:Getty 18 of 24
19. Clyde Stubblefield, 73Source:Getty 19 of 24
20. Al Jarreau, 76Source:Getty 20 of 24
21. Mary Tyler Moore, 80Source:Getty 21 of 24
22. Lee "Q" O'Denat, 43Source:Getty 22 of 24
23. Bishop Eddie Long, 63Source:Getty 23 of 24
24. Roy Innis, 82Source:Getty 24 of 24
Living Their Best Lives: Couple Adopts Seven Siblings was originally published on newsone.com