Former President Barack Obama has several schools across California named after him, and he could soon add a street in the state that honors his legacy.
Los Angeles City Council President Herb Wesson is spearheading an effort to change Rodeo Road in southwest L.A. to “Obama Boulevard,” The Los Angeles Times reports.
The lawmaker underscored that his district has streets named for several presidents—Washington, Adams and Jefferson, NBC News Los Angeles reported. Renaming a 3.5-mile stretch of Rodeo Road would be a fitting honor for the nation’s 44th president.
Obama, while he was a senator, held his fist L.A. presidential campaign rally at Rancho Cienega Park on Rodeo Road, Wesson noted. Also, the former president attended Occidental College in Los Angeles as an undergraduate.
Los Angeles would not be the first California city to name a street after the nation’s first Black president. The Seaside City Council double-named a street “Obama Way” in 2010, the Monterey County Weekly reported.
President Obama could also have a highway named in his honor. NBC New L.A. reported that state senators approved renaming part of the 134 Freeway in honor of the former president earlier this year.
Good 'Ol Days: Barack Obama Was Nominated For President By The DNC 11 Years Ago
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 8 of 14
9. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 9 of 14
10. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 10 of 14
11. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 11 of 14
12. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 12 of 14
13. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 13 of 14
14 of 14
"The future rewards those who press on. I don't have time to feel sorry for myself. I don't have time to complain. I'm going to press on."— BrooklynDad_Defiant! (@mmpadellan) February 18, 2019
-- President Barack Obama
Happy #PresidentsDay, Mr. President! We ❤️ you!@BarackObama pic.twitter.com/xhQEb4OG1U
Los Angeles Lawmakers Contemplate Renaming Street To Honor Obama was originally published on newsone.com