In June, the federal appeals court in Atlanta upheld the Jamaican singer’s 2011 conviction on cocaine conspiracy and trafficking charges. The three-judge panel also sided with a Tampa jury’s conviction of Banton on a gun possession charge, which the trial judge tossed at his sentencing.
Like us on Facebook!
The appeals court rules that there was sufficient evidence to convict the singer, whose real name is Mark Myrie, on the gun charge.
Banton’s attorney filed a motion in July seeking a new trial. Judge James Moody in Tampa denied that request Tuesday.
Banton is serving a 10-year prison sentence. The gun charge carries an additional five-year sentence.
- Happy Birthday Whitney Houston
- Poll: Swing State Virginia Tilting Toward Obama in Election
- Phenomenal Woman: Janesia Simmons
- Introducing Antoine Dunn: “The New Voice Of Soul”
- Charles Asuming Amofa Charged With Kidnapping 6-year-old In Maryland